Warmth for Wake Information and Guidelines for Ravenscroft Upper School
Warmth for Wake, a Wake County Human Services program, provides in-need households in and around Raleigh with free firewood from October through March. For many households, fireplaces and wood-burning stoves are the only sources of heat. For more details see: http://www.wakegov.com/humanservices/social/energy/Pages/warmthforwake.aspx
Volunteers (with pickup trucks, if possible) cut and split wood on site, deliver wood to recipients and, sometimes, collect wood from area donors. They must be 16 and need the permission form to work.
Volunteers are needed for each date during our Wood Delivery Schedule for the 2015/16 season:
- Saturday, December 5
- Saturday, January 9
- Saturday, January 23
- Saturday, January 30
- Saturday, February 27
- On this form.
- Limited to 20 students, put cell phone number on sign up sheet so we can contact you before and during the event
- Bring your SIGNED permission slip on the day before first date you serve for the season: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Cg4TjBPD9ZNl9OVGtZZXVQUHM/view?usp=sharing
Saturday Morning at 8:30 AM:
- Meet at the Everett Lot @ 7044 Wildlife Drive, Raleigh, NC.
- Head north on Leesville Road past 540
- Take the 2nd light on the right, Hickory Grove Road
- Take a right on Carpenter Pond Road to Wildlife drive on the left
- See map below
At the Facility:
- Wear Gloves and heavy-soled shoes
- Stay away from persons using chainsaws
- Be careful when chopping, no standing behind the axes
- When splitting with an axe, separate yourself and face away from others. Also, if you’re right-handed, stand with left foot forward when striking wood; if you’re left-handed, stand with right foot forward.
- Ask for training on using the mechanical splitters
- Wear eye protection if you’re using any cutting/splitting equipment
- If you don’t know what to do, ask your group leader or the work-site coordinator. If you’re taking a break, separate yourself from the work area.
- Know where the first-aid kit is and how to get yourself of someone else to the nearest hospital.
- Do all Long Distance Deliveries first, so that everyone can be done by 2 PM
- A faculty or adult needs to be in each truck headed to Downtown Raleigh
- No stopping while headed to the Tree Service or delivering, make sure you get gas and snacks before you come out, we want our time working to be as efficient as possible